You are to answer 2 out of the 5 questions. You may choose whichever 2 you would
You are to answer 2 out of the 5 questions. You may choose whichever 2 you would like. In preparing to answer any question, you should create an outline of salient concepts and select works that are exemplary of those points. Whenever you cite a work of art, you should include its title (always italicized), artist/architect and date. Part of your grade depends upon you not only choosing convincing examples that correspond to the concepts you are discussing, but also that you fully describe the pertinent features associated with that work. In other words, it is not sufficient to merely name a work of art without discussing its significance.
Each essay response should be at least 2 single spaced pages (1000 words) and include at least 6 works of art, in a cohesive essay format (ie, introduction, body, conclusion). Please combine both questions into one document for submission. Essays will be graded on content, grammar, spelling, and organization. Each essay will be worth 70 points, with the remaining 10 points reserved for grammar and organization, for a total of 150 points.
1. Why do we distinguish between the Italian Renaissance and the Northern Renaissance? What objectives did they share? What were their respective heritages in regard to visual culture? Cite and analyze specific works to demonstrate your ideas.
2. Discuss the great patrons of the Renaissance in both the North and in Italy. How did art serve their purposes as powerful rulers or families? Describe the regional ‘centers’ of artistic production that were created by the patronage. How does regional art reflect culture and location? Cite and analyze specific works to demonstrate your ideas.
3. Is there a discernible difference between the artistic production associated with the High Renaissance and that which preceded it in Italy? What aspirations changed during the brief period we define as the High Renaissance? Why did this shift occur? Cite and analyze specific works to demonstrate your ideas.
4. Examine the variety of meanings associated with the representations of the human body in Europe between 1200 and 1600. What different traditions and philosophies contributed to the human body being so frequently employed as a symbol? Cite and analyze specific works to demonstrate your ideas.
5. The Christian religion was significantly modified by the scholarly interests of the Renaissance, as well as movements within the church itself (the creation of new orders with innovative objectives). How are these changes in religious thought reflected in the art of Europe between 1200 and 1600? Cite and analyze specific works to demonstrate your ideas.