1. Read: Gottdiener & Huthinson (pg. 51-58): CHAPTER 3 – Part 1 (p. 51-61).pdf (
1. Read: Gottdiener & Huthinson (pg. 51-58): CHAPTER 3 – Part 1 (p. 51-61).pdf (attached)
2. Watch: Charlie Chaplin’s silent film “Modern Times”: Modern Times Kanopy link
1. According to the film “Modern Times” by Charlie Chaplin, describe the way he illustrates the changing social relations during industrialization? How would he explain society’s relationship to work during this time? Cite specific examples in the film to illustrate your point.
2. Describe how “simple commodity production” found in the feudal system differ from the “extended commodity exchange” found in capitalism? According to Marx, how did this transition of economic system from feudal to capitalism increase class division and inequality in urban communities?